23 November 2006

Thanksgiving Debate

As I'm making my sweet potato casserole, I'm measuring ingredients to make the oatmeal crumb topping.

"I need 4 tablespoons of butter," I tell my mom. "Is that a half a stick right there?" I say pointing to a stumpy section of butter.
"Let me see."

She pulls out another stick with the paper still on it.

"No, you need half."
"But that's not a quarter cup. A half a stick would be a quarter cup."
"No, look. "

The lines on the paper do say I need half of what's on the plate.

"Is this a stick of butter here?" I ask her.
"Yes, it's a cup."
"No, a stick of butter is 1/2 a cup."
"No, it's not."
"Yes it is."
"Take out a stick from the freezer and compare it."

I place the two next to each other. The frozen one is longer and skinnier.

"Oh, so this is a stick of butter! But look, 1 stick=half a cup=8 table spoons."
"Oh!" We laughed.
"But I do need half of this."

----
"It says I need to bake it 70-80 minutes. Is that a long time?"
"It's more than an hour," my mom says.
"I know it's more than an hour." Me, my mom, and step-dad laugh. "I just meant compared to other things."


No comments: